OFFERED AT ORMS BELLVILLE
Victorian Towers, Cnr Durban Rd & Palm St, Bellville, Cape Town, 7530
- DSLR camera with 1 or more lenses. The standard zoom(s) are OK to begin with, but you’ll probably want to upgrade them at some point. More advice on this will depend on what type of photography you want to go into in the long run. UV filters to protect your lenses.
- Spare battery for your camera, original or generic.
- Laptop or standalone PC or Mac. We have a fully equipped Mac Lab with 24″ and 27″ Macs that you will be taught on. You can also make use of them during your free time providing the school is open, and there is no other class in there. Photoshop and Lightroom are installed at the school, but you would need to get your own licenses for us on your personal machine. The latest version is Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC – they come bundled as a subscription @ U$ 9,99 per month. Word or a compatible program are also recommended. An external hard drive for backing up your photos is HIGHLY recommended.
- A tripod is essential and it’s a good idea to get one that is in line with the size and weight of your camera & lenses. A cable remote (can be a generic brand, but must suit your camera) is a very very good idea.
- Two or more memory cards 16GB or larger.
- An external flash (“Speedlight”) that works with your specific camera.
- A decent camera bag big enough to allow your gear to grow a bit.
- There are lots of small nice-to-have goodies that can be sorted out later, and are often good to chat about in person.
- Basic stationary i.e. note[ad/book, pens, highlighter etc.
Our Beginners Digital Photography, entry level course combines theory and practice enabling you to take better digital photographs with your digital SLR camera by increasing your theoretical understanding of photography and exploring your creative side. The course covers camera anatomy, resolution, exposure, visual effects of the aperture and shutter, lenses, flash, composition, basic photo editing and aims to further develop your visual literacy. The course concludes with the exhibition of your strongest work. The course also includes two practical outings with your lecturer and the group.
We also offer Digital Photography 1 in an Intensive format at the Orms Cape Town School of Photography- which is presented in daily sessions of 4 hours each, over a period of one week. Sessions include presentations by lecturers and students, supervised practical shoots around topics of discussion, slideshows and critiques. Students are also expected to complete a number of practical assignments in response to a project brief.
Additionally to this, we also offer it as a Morning Course – which is presented in a 4-hour Workshop.
*Dates subject to change. Courses require a minimum amount of enrollments to proceed.
Click here to see our Terms and Conditions.
Includes tuition and lecture notes.
Students are expected to bear their own printing costs. (Payment in full before commencement of course or upon arrival. Card facilities are available at the school.)