Study and play in one of the world’s most beautiful places. This theoretical and practical course in film and digital photography has been designed for a visitor to complete within the duration of a 3-month holiday visa.
The programme focuses on technical digital photography skills and wet darkroom photography skills, in conjunction with the necessary image management, post-production and image output workflows.
The course runs for four 3-hour sessions weekly either in the morning or the afternoon. The remainder of the time is either dedicated to working on course projects or to explore Cape Town and its surroundings on your own. At the end of this course, you will be required to submit work for exhibition purposes for the end-of-term show. You will receive a 25% discount on Photobooks and printing, and 20% on framing of your coursework at Orms.APPLY QUICK LINK
– Apply theoretical and practical knowledge needed to take better digital photographs with a Digital SLR (digital single-lens reflex) camera.
– Develop a good understanding of how light behaves and learn how to use it in a way that best suits your photographs.
– Learn how to use speedlight-units, bounce flash and create amazing photographs impossible without flash.
– Learn how to make a product appealing in a photographic image through creative play, and photographic skill.
– Create a portfolio of work for exhibition purposes.
– Learn how to shoot and work with 35mm Black & White film.
– Learn how to process film, make contact sheets, problem-solve particular areas in your photographs and print your own pictures.
– Discover the photogram, create your own transparency negatives and dabble with the montage.
– Experience photography as a process subject to the human hand, and develop an understanding of light, time and the very necessary kindling of your creative intuition in relation to the materials you work with in the dark room.
– Learn Adobe Lightroom© and Adobe Photoshop©.
– Manage and keyword your image collections.
– Digitally edit your photographs.
– Learn essential workflow basics to process your RAW files.
– Optimise exposure, correct colour casts, create borders and double exposures, watermark your work, resize your photographs for various printing formats, work in layers and produce images with the best possible quality.
– Expertly retouch photographs, mask with accuracy and create image composites.
– Work with image overlays, produce multi-layered images seamlessly and learn to use a Wacom Tablet.
4 sessions per week, 09:00 – 16:00.
24 August 2020
Note: We will accept late entries but it is advisable to allow at least six weeks for a holiday visa to be issued.DOWNLOAD PROSPECTUS
September 2020 intake: R 40 000
Please note that Orms Cape Town School of Photography has gear available for students to loan but it is advisable to have your own DSLR. You will also qualify for a discount from Orms rental should you wish to rent non-standard gear.