Orms Cape Town School of Photography will be hosting an Artist/Photographer in Residence programme. Our residency programme is dedicated to those who have existing bodies of work or to those who have well-established projects and are in need of access to the necessary equipment and input to further execute these projects and/or bring them into realization.
The residency itself will run for the duration of a month starting Monday, 11 June, for four weeks to Friday, 6 July. During this time, the artist/photographer in question will have access to a studio with adequate wall space for the editing and sequencing of their work, the use of our studio lighting equipment, a dedicated camera for the duration of their residency, the use of our darkroom if so required, the use of a dedicated Mac in our Mac-lab and a stipend of 15 working prints (6×9”) per weekday. The residency will culminate in a small show, which will be followed by a presentation by the artist/photographer in question on their work and their process.
11 June – 6 July 2018
The artist/photographer in residence will own the intellectual property and physical work created at Orms Cape Town School of Photography during their residency.
Apply by sending your application details, as per the list below, to email@example.com
Application deadline – Friday 25 May, 17h00
The successful applicant will be contacted by Friday, 1 June, 17h00.
- Artist statement describing your practice.
- Portfolio of existing work, 15 – 20 images submitted, digitally by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proposal of no less than 500 words describing the work you aim to either finish or create during the residency to accompany your digital submission.
- A motivational letter
- A copy of your Identity Document or Passport
- Your profile picture
- Contactable references with the appropriate telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
INCLUDED IN RESIDENCY:
- Studio space
- The use of dedicated camera gear. Please note that the Resident will need to provide his/her own memory card for use during the residency.
- Use of darkroom facilities
- Use of studio lights, on-site at Orms Cape Town School of Photography
- Use of Mac-lab and scanner
- A printing stipend at Orms of 15, 6×9” working prints per day
- Advertising through the Orms Cape Town School of Photography website & Facebook forums of your work
- An exhibition at the Orms Cape Town School of Photography gallery at the end of the residency, 26 July – 10 August
- 25% off his or her final exhibition prints done at Orms Print Room.
Travel costs, meals, taxes, insurances of any nature will not be included.
Visiting artists/photographer will be required to do a presentation of their work to our student body community.
The photographer in residence will gift one agreed upon work to Orms Cape Town School of Photography for the official Artist in Residence Archive. This work may be exhibited at Orms and/or Orms Cape Town School of Photography.
The school offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. daily, Mondays to Fridays, excluding statutory public holidays. The Resident has access to workshops during business hours and by special arrangement at any other time.