Orms Cape Town School of Photography will be hosting an Artist/Photographer in Residence programme. Our residency programme is dedicated to those who have existing bodies of work OR to those who have well-established projects and are in need of access to the necessary equipment and input to further execute these projects and/or bring them into realisation. The residency itself will run during our Winter School Programme for the duration of a month starting Friday, 14 June, for four weeks to Friday, 12 July. During this time, the artist/photographer in question will have access to a studio with adequate wall space for the editing and sequencing of their work, the use of our studio lighting equipment, a dedicated camera for the duration of their residency, the use of our darkroom if so required, the use of a dedicated Mac in our Mac-lab and a stipend of 15 working prints (6”x 9”) per week day. The residency will culminate in a small show, which will be followed by a presentation by the artist/photographer in question on their work and their process.
Travel costs, meals, taxes, insurances of any nature will not be included.
14 June – 12 July 2019
The artist/photographer in residence will own the intellectual property and physical work created at Orms Cape Town School of Photography during their residency.
Apply by sending your application details, as per the list below, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application deadline – Friday 17 May, 17h00
The successful applicant will be contacted by Friday, 24 May, 17h00.
- Artist statement describing your practice.
- Portfolio of existing work, 15 – 20 images submitted, digitally by email to email@example.com
- Proposal of no less than 500 words describing the work you aim to either finish or create during the residency to accompany your digital submission.
- A motivational letter
- A copy of your Identity Document or Passport
- Your profile picture
- Contactable references with the appropriate telephone numbers and e-mail addresses
INCLUDED IN RESIDENCY:
- Studio space
- The use of available camera gear. Please note that the Resident will need to provide his/her own memory card for use during the residency.
- Use of dark room facilities
- Use of studio lights, on site at Orms CTSP
- Use of Mac-lab and scanner
- A printing stipend at Orms of 15, 6”x 9” working prints per day
- Advertising through the Orms CTSP website & Facebook forums of your work
- An exhibition in the Orms CTSP exhibition space at the end of the residency, Thursday, 1 August – Friday, 23 August 2019
- 25% off his or her final exhibition printing and framing done at Orms Print Room.
Note: Orms Cape Town School of Photography will not be liable to cover any printing costs for the final exhibition
Visiting artist/photographer will be required to do a presentation of their work to our student body community.
The Resident agrees to gift one agreed upon work to Orms CTSP for the official Artist In Residence Archive. This work may be exhibited at Orms and/or Orms CTSP.
Orms CTSP offices are open Monday-Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 17:00 p.m. and Fridays from 7:00 a.m. to 16:00 p .m. , excluding statutory public holidays. The Resident has access to workshops during business hours and by special arrangement at any other time.